A problem with finding farmhouse ales to present at tastings and so
on is that very few are made commercially. Here is a list of what
little there actually is. At the moment I'm only including Norwegian
True farmhouse ale
- Morten Granås, Hegra, Stjørdal. He has no distribution, so you
really have to pick it up at his place.
Fairly authentic farmhouse ales
These beers are made in commercial facilities, and some compromises
have been made on process and the level of carbonation and so on, but
they are still reasonable approximations of the real thing.
- Klostergården Såinn (stjørdalsøl with Voss kveik)
- Voss Bryggeri Vossaøl (various incarnations, all vossaøl)
- Aass Pilotbryggeri Vossaøl (not sure if still available)
Craft beer with farmhouse elements
These beers are brewed like craft beer, but they have at least one
real farmhouse element about them, like farmhouse yeast or farmhouse
malts or the process.
- Bygland Bryggeri Sveikadden (smoky, junipery with Voss kveik)
- Voss Bryggeri: several beers with kveik. Kveika Rugøl is a
- Klostergården Alstadberger: excellent beer with stjørdal malts.
- Nøgne Ø: several beers with kveik.
is an excellent raw ale with lovely smoke character.
Norsk Høst is a very good beer dominated by Myrica gale.
Tradisjon is also good, with kveik and Myrica.
- Stjørdalsbryggeriet Okkelberger: good beer with stjørdal malts.
- Kinn Kveik: kind of saison with kveik from Sykkylven.
- Lervig/Arizona Lawless: kind of saison with kveik.
- Ego Draumr: raw ale with a possible kveik.
- Ego & Eik og Tid Ny Hornindal Pale Ale: pale ale that's
also raw and with kveik
- Eik og Tid: all of their beers are raw ales with juniper
infusion and kveik. However, they are sour and carbonated, and have
other deviations, too.
A larger list
of beers with kveik.
Craft beer inspired by farmhouse ale
These beers are craft beers that were made to approximate what the
brewers imagined farmhouse ale could perhaps be like. Many of them are
good beers, but they're not very close to the originals.
- Haandbryggeriet Hesjeøl.
- Haandbryggeriet Norwegian Wood.
- Little Creatures Stryn Farmhouse Ale.
Lars Marius Garshol, 2018-01-27.